Saturday 19 July 2008

Panasonic TZ Series vs Canon SX

Consumer’s Institute in NZ reviews digital cameras regularly and have just issued their latest report. Basically from their POV the competition for the top P&S spot is down to Panasonic and Canon, and I agree. I’ve compared the Canon and Panasonic offerings for some time and I would continue to choose Canon first time every time. Although Panasonic was first off the block with the TZ1 ultrazoom compact, Canon after a couple of false starts (the weird TX1 for example) eventually responded with the SX100, with the probability of an update this year. I took a few moments to check out the SX100 against the latest Lumix TZ4/TZ5 models. My choice for all four digitals so far has been Canon and would remain so in this particular segment, the SX100 being preferred for the following reasons:

  1. Uses AA batteries; you aren’t tied to proprietary expensive power solutions.
  2. Uses standard USB cable; don’t need an expensive proprietary cable (Panasonic uses a special one with the A/V signal pins added to it)
  3. More exposure control options on the SX100. It has a full range of manual settings just like the S5, in fact this camera is really just a scaled down S5 in features. Panasonic has a few scene type settings, more like my A460 which is much cheaper.

I’ll credit the TZ4/TZ5 Lumixes with HD video, battery metering and some other useful features. With the inbuilt lithium power source, you do have the advantage of having less bits and a charger supplied with the camera. Lithium may be more predictable than some NiMH solutions. However my experience of AA cameras has been that I have got out of more than one sticky situation by carrying a set of Energizer Lithiums along with my usual sets of rechargeables. You can get a choice of charger as well and right now I have one that can plug into a USB port or car in addition to the mains. The latest advances into low leakage NiMH cells shows a very promising trend of improving their capacity and retention which in my experience in the first six months of this year is going a long way towards lithium-like performance in an economical package.

Would I buy an SX100? Yes – if I didn’t already have the preference of the A460 / S1 combination. The SX100 is just a little too bulky compared to the A460, yet lower featured than the current S series models. My current choices suit me well as the basic A460 can still do a lot of things when I carry it with me everywhere and is cheap enough to be updated every couple of years. The SX100 is a great camera if you can compromise enough or don’t need the extra performance of the S series.